Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Wedding Bliss, The Marriage of Art and Ceremony



The Peabody Essex Museum is Salem, MA is currently running an exhibit on "Wedding Bliss, the Marriage of Art and Ceremony."

Here is link I found on the website with some of the displayed pieces http://pem.org/exhibitions/showcase.php#id=WeddedBliss&num=1

The exhibit awed me with a beautiful Vera Wang dress, typical of what we'd expect of a high-end western wedding. As it continued, I got to see the transgression the wedding couture. Right up the the Victoria era, western wedding dresses were in pale blue, or a just a "nice dress" that could be worn again. I believe it was Queen Victoria who woren the first white wedding gown.. as we know the rest is history. I'm still waiting for one of my brides to break the white wedding dress tradition : )

The exhibit also showed other objects and traditions from non-western cultures including China, Japan, and India.
The most impressive item in the exhibit was a Russian nuptial crown of Alexandra Feodorovna. All the women at the exhibit were surrounding this little crown counting the diamonds...
All images courtesy of the Museum website.

No comments: